While the Dingles did not first appear until 1994, 22 years into the serials run, it was instantly stated that they had always lived in Emmerdale Village and drank at The Malt Shovel. By 1995, they had lived in Wishing Well Cottage for "around 30 years". One time the Dingles were described as "reeking of pigs".
Although due to the immense size of the family, doing a Dingle family tree can be complicated but here goes.
Ebenezer Dingle married Elspeth McGuire 1831
Jacob Dingle married Katherine in 1850
Parents of:- Benidiah Dingle born c1855
Benidiah Dingle married Margaret in 1880
Parents of:- Isaac Dingle I born c1881
Isaac Dingle married Unknown Woman c1900
Parents of:- Jonah Dingle born c1900
Jonah Dingle married Unknown Woman in 1920
Jededian Dingle married Peg Dingle (Unknown Maiden Surname) c1946
Zak Dingle had relationship with Faith Dingle in 1974
Parents of:- Cain Dingle born Nov 1974
Zak Dingle married Nellie Lynch in 1973
Shadrach Dingle married Faith Dingle in 1974
Parents of:- Chas Dingle born 1977
Bert Dingle (brother of Jedediah Dingle) married Jessie Dingle (Unknown Maiden Surname) c1947
Obediah Dingle married Kathleen Dingle (Unknown Maiden Surname) c1975
Parents of:- Charity Dingle born 1976
Caleb Dingle (brother of Zak) married Vera Lynn Dingle (Unknown Maiden Surname) c1975
Parents of:- Mandy Dingle (born 1977)
Albert Dingle married Delilah Dingle Snr (Unknown Maiden Surname) c1972
Sam Dingle married Alice Wilson in 2006
Parents of:- Samson Dingle born 2006
Cain Dingle had relationship with Charity Dingle in 1989
Parents of:- Debbie Dingle born Oct 1989
Cain Dingle had relationship with Amy Wyatt in 2011
Parents of:- Kyle Winchester born Nov 2011
Charity Dingle was sexually abused by DI Mark Bails in 1990
Parents of:- Ryan Stocks born December 1990
Charity Dingle married Chris Tate in 2001
Parents of:- Noah Dingle born 2004
Debbie Dingle had relationship with Andy Sugden in 2004 and 2012
Marlon Dingle had relationship with Donna Windsor-Dingle in 2008
Parents of:- April Windsor born 2009
Marlon Dingle had relationship with Rhona Goskirk in 2010
Parents of:- Leo Goskirk born 2011
Chas Dingle had relationship with and later married Gordon Livesy c1992
Parents of:- Aaron Livesy born 1992
Shadrach Dingle had relationship with Shirley Pascoe in 1987
Parents of:- Gennie Walker born 1987
Gennie Walker married Nikhil Sharma in 2012
Parents of:- Molly Sharma born 2012
Dingles whose exact relationship to Zak Dingle is unconfirmedEdit
- Cracco Dingle, an Italian of English descent, and his son Giuseppe Dingle.
- Josiah Dingle, another relative.
- Origially, the Dingles were supposed to only appear for a few episodes here and there in 1994 but they proved so popular with vieweres that they were soon made regular characters. Zak was only bought into the show to have a bare knuckle fight with Ned Glover in October 1994. He was made a regular character in January 1995.
- Cain and Charity are second cousins. Cain's Dad Zak and Charity's Dad Obediah were first cousins, their fathers being brothers, those two brothers was Jed (Zak's dad) and Bert (Obediah's dad).
- In 1995, Zak mentioned an aunty called Maud Dingle. It was not confirmed exactly how she was related to Zak, whether a aunt by marriage or blood. She was unlikely to be the wife of Bert Dingle as his wife was called Jessie Dingle. Maud may have been a sister of Bert Dingle and Jed Dingle.
- Zak and Nellie did originally have a son called Nathan, who was mentioned in 1995 but by 2000 he seemed to have been written out of existence. In March 2000, unaware that Cain was his son, Zak said to Sam how he was his only living son now, as Ben had died and now Butch. This indicates that Nathan had been forgotten about, or had died himself, and Zak was told offscreen sometime during 1995 and 2000.
- Noah Dingle is the third cousin to Kyle Winchester. Noah and Kyle also share a half sister, Debbie Dingle.
- Second cousins Cain and Charity had a Daughter Debbie Dingle born in 1989.
- Butch and Ben Dingle never had any children. It is unknown if Tina had any children since she left in 1996.
- Solomon Dingle has children as does Elvis Dingle.
- Eliakim Dingle was a member of the Dingle family, who wed an Irish immigrant, Miss O'Neill. Miss O'Neill had come to England from Ireland in 1900. Her first name was not stated when Shadrach mentioned her, just her surname. Also Elikiam's exact relationship to Zak, Shadrach and co was not confirmed.
- Leo Goskirk and April Windsor, children of Marlon are first cousins once removed to Cain, Sam, Tina, Ben and Butch. Marlon is the first cousin of them as Albert Dingle is Zak's brother.
- In 2002, Peg Dingle said that Zak's great grandfather Isaac Dingle died 80 years ago .