1983 was Emmerdale's 12th year in production. This year saw the show tackle teenage pregnancy. This year saw the first appearance of Archie Brooks and a brief and final appearance of Rev Ruskin, the original vicar. Joe Sugden also left this year, only to return 3 years later.
- January, Annie Sugden insisted Henry Wilks became the accounts keeper at Emmerdale Farm after the farm was in financial straits.
- January, Jackie Merrick was charged at court for the arson attack the previous year.
- March, Sandie Merrick fell pregnant at 17 but refused to reveal the father. It was revealed to be Andy Longthorn. Jackie gave Andy a black eye. Sandie then went to Aberdeen to live near her father who was working on the oil rigs.
- March, Turner invited Amos along to a golfing match. The Major took a dislike to Amos.
- March, Turner started throwing his weight around at Home Farm and John Tuplin thought him and the rest were being victimised.
- May, Rev Edward Ruskin returned briefly to Beckindale while Rev Hinton was away and helped Seth and Meg reconcile. Seth agreed to spend less time at the Woolpack.
- October, Joe Sugden decided to leave Beckindale to work at a NY Estates ranch in France.
- November, Sandie Merrick gave birth to her baby daughter Louise.
- 19 November, Archie Brooks first appeared.